Buttermilk Doughnut Holes
If there’s one thing I know for sure, it’s that my love for doughnuts will endure. There is just nothing better in the world to me than a fried piece of dough with glaze. It screams weekend, special occasions, slumber parties & good cheer. Like, Have you ever eaten a doughnut & still been in a piss poor mood?
Yeast or Cake?
I sure do love a good yeast doughnut. You know, those are the kind that you knead the dough, let them rise & fry them up. Yeast doughnuts are fluffy & scrumptious. As a kid, I was a purist. I did not do cake doughnuts. AT ALL! Like, get them away from me.
As an adult, I can hang with a cake doughnut. You know what, I even like them! Throw in some tangy buttermilk with some super sweet cinnamon sugar & you’ve got a hell of a combo.
Weekends are Made for Doughnuts
Most Saturday mornings, I yearn for a doughnut. Do I plan ahead and make a yeasted dough on Friday night? Never! I do not plan ahead for anything -ever! The best thing about these Buttermilk Doughnut Holes is you can whip them up in under 30 minutes. How great is that?
A few tips here. Have all your ingredients gathered & be ready to go. You will mix the dough while the oil is heating. This is NOT the time to realize you’re out of eggs or your baking powder is expired. You already know, both have happened to me.
Mix the dough until it’s just incorporated. A scooper is a MUST! It really helps with the cooking to have a uniform little ball. When it comes time to flip, you’ll be glad you’ve got a fairly stable little ball that will hopefully float & cook well on both sides.
Have Fun With the Glaze & Toppings
While I opted for just a Cinnamon & Sugar topping, throw in some additional vanilla. prefer a glaze? Do it! Mix powdered sugar with milk and vanilla & dip those Buttermilk Doughnut Holes in the glaze. Either way, you’ll be sure to enjoy them!
If you want more breakfast recipes, be sure to check out our Diner Style Pancakes & Gingerbread Waffles! If you’re looking for a book to read that features doughnuts, be sure to check out Beantown Girls by Jane Healey.
Really Into This a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
Buttermilk Doughnut Holes
Quick & Easy Buttermilk Cake Doughnuts.
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 1/2 Tbsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp kosher salt
- 1/2 tsp ground nutmeg
- 1 large egg
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup melted butter
- 1/2 cup sugar & 1 tsp cinnamon for coating
- oil for frying I prefer peanut oil, but vegetable, sunflower or canola will work
1. Gather your ingredients & line a half-sheet with a paper towel. Heat oil in dutch oven, cast iron pan or deep fryer to 350 degrees.
2. Mix dry ingredients
3. Add in egg, melted butter, vanilla extract, buttermilk & milk.
4. Mix until incorporated.
5. Once the oil reaches 350 degrees, use a scooper and drop in the doughnut holes. Be sure not to overcrowd the pan.
6. Cook on each side for approximately 2-3 minutes. Make sure the doughnuts reach a deep golden brown.
7. Transfer to the half sheet & wait until cool enough to handle & coat with the cinnamon sugar mixture.
Adapted from The Chunky Chef
Latest posts by Sarah Slusher (see all)
- Book Review: Mine by Courtney Cole - May 23, 2019
- Book Review: Naturally Tan by Tan France - May 23, 2019
- Book Review: Slightly South of Simple by Kristy Woodson Harvey - May 23, 2019