I’ve been on the hunt for a tasty & easy One Pot Beef Chili recipe for ages. Let’s be honest, I really want to make this chili for Frito Pie. There is something so satisfying about a cheesy chili with crunchy corn chips. Let’s dive in! This One Pot Beef Chili is an easy weeknight recipe & as Annelle from Steel Magnolias would say, “It freezes beautifully.”
Now, I’m not reinventing the wheel with this recipe. Here are a few tricks to make this super fast & super tasty!
Use Quality Ground Beef That is Super Lean
I hate cleaning multiple dishes, so super lean ground beef ensures little to no draining. If you insist on draining the meat or want to go for an 80/20 mix, feel free! Just know you’ll have to cook it first, drain it & then heat up the onion, garlic & so on.
Fave Fun With Your Spices
We use cocoa & it gives this chili a really great depth. I’m also a huge fan of the Book Club Cookbook Blends Schwarma Chameleon. This Al Pastor Taco Seasoning features ancho, chipotle, annatto & coriander. The Schwarma Chameleon is such a nice flavor with just a hint of heat. For me, it makes the dish! If you don’t have it on hand, mix it up! have fun & find what chili flavors work best for you & your family!
Be a Purist or Mix It Up!
Now, my husband loves plain old chili. I love it chock full of crunchy corn chips, sour cream, and cheese. My daughter is somewhere in the middle. We usually make this one pot beef chili pretty mild. This way, you can always add extra spices to increase the heat. Any way you eat it, it’s sure to please.
One Pot Beef Chili
One Pot Beef Chili
A tasty & simple one-pot version of satisfying beef chili.
- 1/2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 pounds 90/10 lean ground beef
- 4 cloves garlic minced
- 1 medium white onion diced
- 3 tablespoons tomato paste
- 3 tablespoons Al Pastor Taco Seasoning
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 2 teaspoons cocoa powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 29 oz can tomato sauce
- 2 cups vegetable or beef stock
- 1 15-ounce can chili beans
- 1 15-ounce can dark red kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- 1/4 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- Heat olive oil in Dutch oven; add onions & cook about 3-5 minutes or until soft. Add garlic & cook one minute
- Add lean ground beef and cook until beef has browned, about 3-5 minutes, making sure to crumble the beef as it cooks. Drain excess fat if needed.
- Stir in tomato paste, Al Pastor Taco Seasoning, chili powder, paprika, oregano, cocoa powder and cumin.
- Stir in stock, scraping any browned bits from the bottom of the pot.
- Stir in tomato puree and beans
- Season with salt and pepper, to taste. Simmer for at least 10 minutes.
- Serve immediately, garnished with sour cream and cheese, if desired.